Sunday, December 12, 2010

Arlington Details...


It was my distinct privilege to be able to have the opportunity to tour and capture images at our nation's most hallowed place, Arlington National Cemetery. To say it was a profound experience is putting it mildly. I arrive just after 8AM, walking to the visitor center in a light but steady rain. I was immediately struck by the solemn feeling in the air; as if Mother Nature had somehow hushed herself in this place.

The light was less than ideal for photography; I was told by a guard that my tripod was to stay strapped to my bag (not having a lot of tripod luck lately, lol)...

I must have looked funny; standing by a tree, my backpack on, camera in hand, just looking... it took me several minutes before I felt like I could walk out among the markers. Thinking of my father and my uncles (non of whom are interred there) I began to walk, read, and observe. The first thing that visually grabs most people is the sheer number and the pattern of the markers. While I did take that in (and captured some images that I hope convey it); what caught my attention more were the little details. Details that might get overlooked when taking the whole place in...

When I leaned his wreath out of the way; Russell had indeed served in our Navy during WWII & Korea. Some thoughtful family member or friend had left this hat; maybe it was Russell's, the day before in honor of the annual Army Navy game that was played yesterday. Navy won and I hoped somewhere that Russell was smiling...

This outing today was one of the more memorable ones that I have had. Made me think a lot...

I will have more from Arlington to share soon.

God Bless America...

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment