Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Little Introspection...

I often get asked where I am when someone is looking at our family photos. After waiting a moment to see if the answer comes to them; I finally explain that I am the one behind the camera...

Behind the camera... The safe spot, the comfortable spot...sometimes all the technical knowledge can simply be a convenient excuse to remain hidden in plain sight.

Sometimes the creation of an portrait isn't just about the subject, it may be more about the photographer's unwillingness to put themselves in the firing line of the lens. More about the photographer capturing the vulnerabilities he feels on the face of another; wishing to share in the happiness witnessed in someone else's smile. The "it" that the photographer is trying to capture in an image is almost as varied as the reactions to it by each individual that views the finished image.

Creating the image above got me thinking about the "why" of portrait photography. What am I trying to convey? Will people viewing the image be able to understand what I was going for when I pressed the shutter? Questions that both only I can answer and time will tell...

The real reason for the photo above? I was trying out my new tripod set-up to get familiar with it at home rather than in the field. It is a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 486RC2 head. The tripod has a unique center column that can be laid over horizontal while the camera is still attached. Very simple to operate, the construction and fit of the unit is fantastic. This will open up a lot of ideas as I can get a lot more creative with the camera handling abilities of this tripod.

Have a great day! - Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment