Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Breaks...

I wanted to share three images from my outing this morning. Met up with a photo bud at Mill Creek Wildlife Management Area for some sunrise and bird images. While I have plenty of sunrise experience; it has been a while since I have tried my hand at capturing wildlife of any sort, except for maybe my daughter...
This was taken just as the sun broke over the horizon; letting all of the waterfowl know that Spring has arrived.





Tip #1 Looking Behind You...
Taken a short time later; on the bank of a much smaller pond with the early sun warming the birds as they began breakfast.

This was taken facing West... it is a good idea to take a look in the opposite direction when shooting sunrises and sunsets; just to check what the light is doing behind you. I have created some of my favorite images because I have remembered to do this. A good habit to get into...





Tip #2 Shoot With Both Eyes Open...
One of the last images of the day...

While shooting at another goose on the small pond; this one decided that enough was enough and decided to charge the other goose. Another habit that I have developed; particularly for shooting movement or action shots, is keeping both eyes open when looking through the viewfinder. This allows you to pick up the action must faster than waiting for the action to appear in the viewfinder. This also gives you a extra split second to change your settings if necessary; which can be all the difference between a keeper image or a dud.

A quick thanks to Nick Dibernardo for the invite and introduction to this great spot...

Have a great weekend everyone! - Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment